paperback - $20.00 - 475 pages
You can pre-order "Self Empunishment" by Brian Walsby directly from Pelekinesis, using PayPal or a credit card.
$20.00 (plus shipping)
Self Empunishment contains 34 conversations with self-reliant, self-employed, and otherwise self-motivated musicians, technicians, and artists.
The interviews, conducted by Brian Walsby, are revealing discussions about what has led these artists to where they are now, what choices have guided their journey, why they do what they do, and how they have made it work for them. Also, plenty of talk about individual successes, failures, lawsuits, rivalries, obstacles, friendships, and memorable events along the way.
Brian Walsby in conversation with:
- Milo Aukerman (Descendents)
- Lori Barbero (Babes In Toyland)
- Lou Barlow (Sebadoh, Dinosaur Jr)
- Bob Bert (Sonic Youth, Pussy Galore)
- Ryan Case (artist)
- Monty Colvin (Galactic Cowboys, artist)
- Dale Crover (Melvins, Redd Kross)
- Mike Dean (Corrosion Of Conformity, producer)
- Kristin Smith DeBockler (artist)
- Doug Dobey (Honor Role, graphic designer)
- William DuVall (Alice In Chains, Neon Christ)
- Errol Engelbrecht (artist)
- Adam Faucett (songwriter)
- Dale Flattum (Steel Pole Bath Tub, artist)
- Bob Hannam (merchandise)
- Tom Hazelmyer (Amphetamine Reptile Records, artist)
- Lori Herbst (artist)
- John Hopkins (tour manager, soundman)
- Dennis Jagard (Ten Foot Pole, soundman)
- Toshi Kasai (producer, engineer)
- Todd Kowalski (Propagandhi, artist)
- Michel Langevin (Voivod, artist)
- Steven McDonald (Redd Kross, Melvins)
- Sam McPheeters (Born Against, author)
- Keith Morris (Circle Jerks, Black Flag, OFF!)
- Buzz Osborne (Melvins)
- Jeff Pinkus (Butthole Surfers, Honky, Melvins)
- Scott Radinsky (Pulley, professional baseball)
- Eugene Robinson (Oxbow, author)
- Rebecca Sevrin (No Policy, Frightwig, artist)
- Chris Shary (artist)
- Steve Shelton (Confessor)
- Tyler Wolf (Valient Thorr, artist)
- Bill Stevenson (Descendents, All, Black Flag, producer)
Self Empunishment by Brian Walsby, beautifully illustrated by the author and featuring an introduction by Bob Durkee, presents this series of interviews in one densely-packed, story-filled volume.
Brian Walsby first reared his big head in the early 1980s as a prolific contributor (via letter writing) to the harcore/punk scene's vibrant literary underground.
From 1984 through 1986, Brian drew numerous cartoons and drawings for various zines around at the time like MAXIMUM ROCK AND ROLL, FLIPSIDE, INK DISEASE, XXX, SUBURBAN VOICE, SIXTY MILES NORTH, and GUILLOTINE. He also drew album artwork for bands like SEVEN SECONDS, PSYCHO, SCARED STRAIGHT, THE MELVINS, SKEEZICKS, and the Oxnard California compilation album NARDCORE.
Brian has played drums for many bands including SCARED STRAIGHT, WWAX (with Mac from SUPERCHUNK and Merge Records), SNAKE NATION (with Mike Dean and Woody Weatherman of CORROSION OF CONFORMITY), PATTY DUKE SYNDROME (with controversial songwriter Ryan Adams), SHINY BEAST, and a stint in POLVO. He returned to art in the 1990s, contributing artwork, interviews, and cartoons to a new generation of magazines like THE HIT LIST, CHUNKLET, LEFT OF THE DIAL, RAZORCAKE and DECIBEL.
Brian's graphic novel series, MANCHILD, spans 6 volumes and collects many of his stories about early punker experiences and growing up a nerd. These largely autobiographical cartoons cover topics like touring with the Descendents, Ronald Reagan, coffee shops, high school traumas, bowling, hair-metal, SST, the Melvins, straight-edge, and punk punk rock.
Brian continues to create freelance artwork in North Carolina, where he lives with his partner and two children. More information is available at www.brianwalsby.net